Monday, September 3, 2012

Aluminum and Cheese

So I have been traveling a lot for business lately and I have been unable to provide health, and fitness tips. This has made me realize that I need to buy an IPad or a Notebook :) for the road. With that being said let’s get into the topic of today. A client of mine recently asked if I thought cheese was considered healthy. Before I provide an answer to that question,please note that I am not a doctor and by no means am I trying to force my beliefs down your throat. To answer that question let me inform you of a largely unknown fact. Aluminum is legally allowed to be used in the production of most cheese labeled “American Cheese.” Apparently our good friends at McDonalds successfully requested the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to increase the permissible amount of aluminum in cheese production. Why aluminum in cheese? Essentially, aluminum makes cheese taste creamier. FYI in Europe this practice is entirely banned. Oddly enough, Europeans tend to prefer our cheese because they are creamier. So what is the problem with aluminum in cheese? Excessive levels of aluminum in the body, has been correlated with a long a list of chronic diseases such Alzheimer’s, Autism, Anemia, and in some cases Asthma.

The only way to avoid aluminum laced cheese is to make sure that its labeled organic. However, if you ask me I think cheese should be avoided all together because its very difficult to digest and clogs the arteries more than any food. But hey that is a whole other discussion :). Stay fit and well family.

No comments:

Post a Comment